maandag 20 mei 2013

How To: Perfect Foundation Application


When applying makeup, foundation is my favourite part. I absolutely adore seeing the small transformation it gives me; it hides my imperfections and makes me look glowy and polished, whilst still looking natural. Over the years I’ve toyed with lots of different formulas, shades and brands. This resulted in quite a few embarassing moments (orange, not properly blended and cakey face anyone?), but now I have finally found what shades (the lightest), formulations (light to medium coverage) and finish (semi-matte, but still radiant looking) fits me perfectly. I thought I should write a quick blogpost on how I personally like to apply my foundation.

After cleansing, toning and moisturising my face, I start with applying a primer. My favourite primer of choice is the Clarins Instant Smooth one. This mattifies my complexion, smoothes over any pores and makes my makeup last so much longer. I just take a little bit between my fingers, warm it up and apply it evenly on my moisturised skin, using my (warm) hands. You don’t really need to use a primer, but since my skin can get quite oily throughout the day I like using one, especially when I’m having a long day ahead of me. I find that I need to use a smaller amount of foundation afterwards and it helps it go on smoother.
I own quite a few of foundations, so I tend to rotate them. My current favourite one is Revlon Colourstay, which I got quite recently. If you’re just starting out with foundations and are looking for a little bit more coverage, this is the one for you since it’s not really expensive. Other drugstore ones I really like are the Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum and the Rimmel Wake Me Up foundation. The Revlon Colourstay one doesn’t have a pump, which isn’t ideal. I take a really small amount, warm it up on the back of my hand, dot in on my face and then use my Real Techniques Buffing Brush to carefully buff i tinto my skin. Warming your foundation up makes it really melt into the skin, which can make it look less cakey and more like just skin. I also really like using my hands for my foundation, but if you want a little bit more coverage, this brush is literally perfect. Be careful to blend it down your neck- you don’t want to look like you’ve got a mask on!
Since this foundation has quite great coverage (and still feels and looks really light and natural!), I don’t really find that I need to use concealer. On days that I do want a little bit of extra coverage though, I use my favourite ever Estée Lauder Double Wear concealer on any acne scars, blemishes or other imperfection. This is a really full coverage concealer, which I blend in using the same brush as my foundation or just pat into the skin with my fingers if I want it to look slightly more natural. For under my eyes, I let my trusty old YSL Touche Eclat doing its trick; illuminating, but still lightly concealing. I absolutely adore this. I pat this gently in using my ring finger, which I find gives it the best finish.


So that’s my foundation sorted. I sometimes apply a little bit of powder, most days I just leave my skin like this because I do like a bit of a glow. What’s your foundation routine?


Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten