zondag 14 juli 2013

Currently Reading, A Lack of Motivation and Love, Love, Love



Books are my one love. As I’ve said numerous times before, reading is my biggest hobby and my dream is to own a huge library in my house when I grow up (this makes me sound like a child). I don’t really have much time to read anymore however, but when I do, I cherish those moments and try to make the most out of the few hours I have to read. This frequently results in me finishing a book in less than 24 hours.
The book I’m currently reading is one that I’ve seen on many beauty bloggers desks. I had never really heard that much about it, but since I discovered Grace through watching ‘the September Issue’ I fell a little bit in love with her personality, so I figured I would really love this book. I’m not even halfway through, but so far I’m really loving it; reading about her childhood, haute couture in the 60’s-70’s and I absolutely love reading about the Vogue offices and what happens behind the scenes. There’s also a chapter about Anna Wintour, which I can’t wait to read, and the book also contains lots of photos of Grace when she was younger. All the illustrations in the book are drawn by Grace, and I really love them since they’re so quirky and funny. In the end, there’s also a few pages with pictures of editorials she shot which is absolutely amazing to look at. I do enjoy reading it, but I do however find that it can sometimes get a little bit dull and- dare I say it- boring. This isn’t really a book that you should complete in a day; reading tiny chunks is enough and definitely helps to keep it interesting.

On to general ‘life’ stuff: I have my beauty therapy exam on Wednesday, and I’m stressing out. There’s just so much to study and a lot of things we need to know are quite irrelevant to it all, like how the respiratory system and digestive tract work. But it’s nice to possess that knowledge and I guess that it can come in handy later on. I’m more nervous about the practical part of the exam, though. We need to do one half of it this Wednesday and then the other half on the next Wednesday, and I really hate it when people are paying close attention when I’m doing something like painting someone else’s nails (which I’m not good at to begin with) so I’m really, really nervous about that. I’m better with ‘theoretical stuff’, if you know what I mean. I started this course purely out of interest and just because I love everything beauty and especially skincare related, but I just don’t know if I want it tob e my job- yet. I’m starting university in September and then we’ll see what comes next, I guess. I do, however, lack the motivation to study and especially to practice doing my facials and manicures, so I need to find my spark back and go hard the next couple of days. I’ve only got tomorrow and Tuesday left, eek!

On another note; I’ve been loving loads of blogs and YouTube channels/videos lately, and I thought I’d share the love. The first blog I’ve fallen head over heels in love with and which is actually quite a new discovery to me, is The Dauphine. The photography is beautiful, just as Chelsey herself. She just has such a chic parisian look to her and always looks effortlessly gorgeous. Next up are From Roses and Vintage Machine, which are two blogs which I’ve been loving for a few months now. Not only is their photograpy absolutely beautiful, but their choices in beauty products are absolutely perfect!
I’ve also been obsessing over the Saccone-Jolys and I’ve been watching their holiday videos religiously for the past week or so. I love, love, love, love having a sneak peek into their life, and now they’re on holiday I’m vicarously living through their videos! I can’t wait untill I’m off to Mallorca next month, but until then, this has to do. Also, that’s some true dedication and passion there if they’re even blogging on their holiday!
I’ve also been loving Anna’s guide to holiday packing- I’ve printed out the PDF files she made and definitely scribbled down some notes for future reference!
I’m not really feeling my blog at the moment- I feel like I say this all the time, but I’m just really a perfectionist and way too hard for myself. I’m planning on taking better photo’s and improve my photo editing skills, and I also really want to improve the quality of my writing. I know my English spelling and especially grammar isn’t the best and I’m learning everyday, but it just is quite hard for me to write and describe things in English whilst everyone around you is talking Dutch and you’re simultaneously talking to a friend- or maybe I just need to stop multitasking and start focusing more on what I’m doing. To make things short, I just want my blog to keep evolving. I love blogging so much and it’s definitely become something I look forward to, and even though I don’t really blog that much, the moment I sit down and start writing is always such a moment of relief and creative freedom. Even though I’m not really creative, but whatever.
I want this blog to be more personal and I want it to be my creative outlet, a place where I can truly be myself and develop my personality, style, writing skills, photography etcetera.

I’m really sorry for this monster of a blog post. For those of you who have stuck until the end, I love you, I really do. I really hope you like these more kind of lifestylish posts, and if you want to, please leave a comment saying what you would like to see more of on this blog. I hope everyone who reads this has a lovely week!

2 opmerkingen:

  1. Thank you so much for the sweet mention in your blog post! It's comments like these that really make my day and keep me motivated to blog! I absolutely loved The September Issue and would love to read Grace. She's so beautiful and creative and such a huge icon in the fashion industry.

    I can understand how it must be so difficult to blog in a second language, but honestly, you're doing great and that itself is already such an achievement. You spell a lot better than many native English speaking people I know and I didn't even notice a single spelling or grammar error in this blog post! I think blogging is always evolving - I know my blog didn't become what it was now to what I intended in the beginning. I think my photography got better as I kept up blogging too as it forces me to use my camera instead of just taking pictures on an iPhone.

    I really hope your blog becomes what you want it to be. It just takes a bit of patience and hard work, but that's like most things in life. :)

    http://vintagemachine.blogspot.com

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. Thank you so much! You don't know how much this comment means to me, really :) I love Grace too, I love the fact that she gets inspiration from absolutely anything and everything and I just love everything about her.
      Yes, I'm definitely challenging myself because I write this blog in English, but at the same time that's what I love about it. I love learning, and I'm obsessed with the English language! :) And I definitely agree with you that blogging just keeps evolving, I've only been blogging for a few months now and I've already noticed quite a big difference. I think I'll never be fully happy with my blog, but that's just because I'm such a perfectionist and nothing in life can be perfect. I feel like this blog is super unorganised, but maybe that's just the reflection of my personality haha :)

      Thank you so much for commenting, I love talking to people whose blog I absolutely admire!
      xx

      Verwijderen